Sunday, December 11, 2011

Monument Avenue 1 . . . .

. . . . in Richmond, Virgina.  My goodness, the sculptures and statues were unbelievable in detail and stature.  We arrived in Richmond around nine in the morning . .. just in time to witness the mist burning off.  It was magical . . . autumn colours, green grass, blue sky and the morning mist lifting.

Morning Mist Lifting
We walked the mile long boulevard paying homage to the heroes of the Civil War . . . for the Confederacy that is.  This road trip taught me another lesson in geography . . .. Richmond is only about a hundred miles south from Washington, DC and was the Capitol of the Confederacy, the Capitol part I knew, however in my mind I had it much further south.  I suppose in those days the distances seemed much more vast, however today it is of little consequence.  My sister and her husband had joined us in Savannah, that will be a whole 'nother posting or two . . . .  she is a camera buff like me.  Thankfully we both have very patient husbands who are very willing to let us "do our thing" . . . and even scouting spots for us.  We are so blessed.

Lucille and Jon strolling down Monument Avenue

 My sister-in-law Mildred had told me I would fall in love with this area and the history.  I had high expectations and they were all met and surpassed. As we were walking down the Avenue, I couldn't help but notice that there was almost a carbon copy of their home in Calgary.  The one difference is the front portico.

This house would look good on me too

No comments:

Post a Comment